• New here? Register here now for access to all the forums, download game torrents, private messages, polls, Sportsbook, etc. Plus, stay connected and follow BP on Instagram @buckeyeplanet and Facebook.

HC Ryan Day (B1G Coach of Year, B1G Champion, National Champion)

RYAN DAY, HALL OF FAMER. Ryan Day had his name enshrined in the New Hampshire Athletics Hall of Fame on Sunday. However, he didn’t attend the ceremony. Instead, as Ohio State’s head coach reviewed the Buckeyes’ win over Iowa and turned his attention to Maryland, Day’s family went in his stead.

“I was able to have some family members go. My brother accepted it on my behalf,” Day said Tuesday. “I was able to film a video, and really the message was how much I appreciated how many people poured into me.”

Day played quarterback at New Hampshire from 1998-2001. As a three-year starter for the Wildcats, Day left the program as its all-time leader in pass completions (653), completion percentage (59.9%), total offense (8,492 yards) and touchdown passes (53).

A Manchester, New Hampshire, native, Day played under longtime head coach Sean McDonnell and offensive coordinator Chip Kelly. Day thanked both coaches for believing in him and helping him realize what he wanted to do after college — follow in their footsteps.


“The fact that Coach McDonnell was inducted the same year that I was meant a lot to me, but Coach (Bill) Bowes made a decision to sign me. Coach Kelly recruited me and really talked me into going there and then really put his arm around me and helped me learn what it means to be a coach,” Day said. “Then I made it my profession and my life. My family loves it and wouldn’t want it any other way, but some days I look them all in the eye and say, ‘Sorry, I chose this profession, because you guys have to live with it.’ We say that kiddingly, but it’s true. It becomes your life. If it wasn’t for the people that poured into me there (at UNH), I wouldn’t have this opportunity.”

Day then reflected on how coaching shaped his life and inspired him to shape his players' lives.

“As coaches, we’re pouring into these young men, and there are life lessons going on here that are going to chase them for the rest of their life,” Day said. “And it’s changed a lot. The dynamics have changed, but that hasn’t, because I say it to all the recruits and their family members: ‘I want to see you successful in 20 years. I want you to have great success on the field, but where are you going in 20 years? There’s just no good if you go in and have a successful career at Ohio State, and then you’re a mess when you leave here.’

“I was fortunate to have great people who poured into me, and it’s one of the reasons why I’m a coach today.”

 
Upvote 0
Back
Top