• New here? Register here now for access to all the forums, download game torrents, private messages, polls, Sportsbook, etc. Plus, stay connected and follow BP on Instagram @buckeyeplanet and Facebook.

OC Arthur Smith (Official Thread)

I dont know that Iowa really is that good. They gave up 400+ yards to scUM last week, including 276 yards passing to Underwood. And 150 on the ground. I have a feeling that they were only a top 5 defense because their first 3 opponents were that bad. I wouldn’t be surprised if they at least lost 3 more games.
 
Upvote 0
I dont know that Iowa really is that good. They gave up 400+ yards to scUM last week, including 276 yards passing to Underwood. And 150 on the ground. I have a feeling that they were only a top 5 defense because their first 3 opponents were that bad. I wouldn’t be surprised if they at least lost 3 more games.
They may not be a top 5 defense but they are usually a top 10 and practically gaurnteed to be a top 20 barring catastrophy
 
Upvote 0
Y'all can pretend he's masterminding this offense. I'll sit back and hope I don't have to see him without Jeremiah Smith next year. Maybe an NFL team will do us a favor.

4th and 1 and we motion the QB to direct snap to the RB 7 yards back so he can run to the edge. Twice. That kind of dumbfuck play calling is going to keep us in close games in the 4th.....not in the good way.
 
Upvote 0
Y'all can pretend he's masterminding this offense. I'll sit back and hope I don't have to see him without Jeremiah Smith next year. Maybe an NFL team will do us a favor.

4th and 1 and we motion the QB to direct snap to the RB 7 yards back so he can run to the edge. Twice. That kind of dumbfuck play calling is going to keep us in close games in the 4th.....not in the good way.
I don’t know about masterminding, but do even you not think he’s a significant upgrade over Hartline? A few positives that I’ve seen include getting plays in on time, THTGDB, more varied and generally quicker tempo, recognizing over the last 2-3 weeks that wider formations with fewer TEs need to be in regular use, and, of late, recognition that the middle of the field wasn’t being used enough in the passing game. There’s been some fuckery, but it’s smelled like typical Ryan Day situational fuckery to me rather than something Smith brought here (I suspect that Day weighs in more on key plays and that he shouldn’t although I can’t provide any evidence for that).
 
Upvote 0
Y'all can pretend he's masterminding this offense. I'll sit back and hope I don't have to see him without Jeremiah Smith next year. Maybe an NFL team will do us a favor.

4th and 1 and we motion the QB to direct snap to the RB 7 yards back so he can run to the edge. Twice. That kind of dumbfuck play calling is going to keep us in close games in the 4th.....not in the good way.

Unless you think Day is calling plays, not sure who else it’d be. He’s not the second coming, but the run game is better, the passing game is more creative, and they’re getting better matchups than last year. At this point I don’t care about next year, but we’ve seen plenty of OCs that are worse.

And every OC has dumbfuck play calls where they get too cute. Thats a prerequisite of being an OC.
 
Upvote 0
Just sayin': He (i.e. the offense) did a great job of controlling the ball (with mostly running plays) at the of the game: 16 plays, 55 yards, 9:30 minutes. Iowa only had 1 offensive possession in the 4th quarter.

Kickoff
9:30 - 4th
#25 E.Ozick kickoff 65 yards to the OSU00, Touchback

2-yd Run
9:21 - 4th
Shotgun #25 B.Jackson rush left for 2 yards gain to the OSU27 (#36 J.Montgomery; #7 R.Godfrey Jr.)
1st & 10 at OSU 25

Incompletion
8:46 - 4th
Shotgun #10 J.Sayin pass incomplete short right to #4 J.Smith thrown to OSU35 broken up by #3 J.Watson
2nd & 8 at OSU 27

9-yd Pass
8:27 - 4th
Shotgun #10 J.Sayin pass complete short right to #83 N.Roberts caught at OSU36, for 9 yards to the OSU36, End Of Play, 1ST DOWN
3rd & 8 at OSU 27

5-yd Run
7:53 - 4th
Shotgun #25 B.Jackson rush middle for 5 yards gain to the OSU41 (#20 T.Hudkins)
1st & 10 at OSU 36

4-yd Run
7:06 - 4th
#25 B.Jackson rush middle for 4 yards gain to the OSU45 (#20 T.Hudkins; #51 L.Gaffney)
2nd & 5 at OSU 41

9-yd Run
6:32 - 4th
#10 J.Sayin rush right for 9 yards gain to the IOWA46 (#18 X.Styles), out of bounds, 1ST DOWN
3rd & 1 at OSU 45

4-yd Run
5:51 - 4th
#32 I.West rush left for 4 yards loss to the IOWA50 (#96 B.Hawthorne)
1st & 10 at IOWA 46

2-yd Run
5:10 - 4th
Shotgun #32 I.West rush middle for 2 yards gain to the IOWA48 (#33 C.Buffington; #51 L.Gaffney)
2nd & 14 at 50

18-yd Pass
4:20 - 4th
Shotgun #10 J.Sayin pass complete short middle to #4 J.Smith caught at IOWA30, for 18 yards to the IOWA30 (#7 R.Godfrey Jr.), 1ST DOWN
3rd & 12 at IOWA 48

2-yd Run
3:41 - 4th
#24 J.Jackson rush middle for 2 yards gain to the IOWA28 (#96 B.Hawthorne)
1st & 10 at IOWA 30

2-yd Run
2:58 - 4th
#25 B.Jackson rush left for 2 yards gain to the IOWA26 (#43 K.Brown; #92 B.Stevenson)
2nd & 8 at IOWA 28

Incompletion
2:15 - 4th
Shotgun #10 J.Sayin pass incomplete deep right to #4 J.Smith thrown to IOWA02 broken up by #3 J.Watson PENALTY OSU Ineligible Downfield on Pass declined
3rd & 6 at IOWA 26

5-yd Penalty
2:12 - 4th
Shotgun #10 J.Sayin pass incomplete deep right to #4 J.Smith thrown to IOWA00 broken up by #3 J.Watson PENALTY IOWA Offside (#18 X.Styles) 5 yards from IOWA26 to IOWA21. NO PLAY
4th & 6 at IOWA 26

(2:09 - 4th) Timeout Ohio State, clock 02:09

3-yd Run
2:00 - 4th
Shotgun #25 B.Jackson rush right for 3 yards gain to the IOWA18 (#36 J.Montgomery; #18 X.Styles), 1ST DOWN
4th & 1 at IOWA 21

(2:00 - 4th) Timeout Ohio State, clock 02:00

0-yd Run
1:52 - 4th
#25 B.Jackson rush left for 0 yards to the IOWA18 (#51 L.Gaffney)
1st & 10 at IOWA 18

0-yd Run
1:08 - 4th
#24 J.Jackson rush middle for 0 yards to the IOWA18 (#11 J.Wallace)
2nd & 10 at IOWA 18

-2-yd Run
0:34 - 4th
Kneel down by #10 J.Sayin at IOWA20 for loss of 2 yards
3rd & 10 at IOWA 18

End of 4th quarter.
 
Upvote 0
Back
Top