• New here? Register here now for access to all the forums, download game torrents, private messages, polls, Sportsbook, etc. Plus, stay connected and follow BP on Instagram @buckeyeplanet and Facebook.

OC Arthur Smith (Official Thread)

The last 2 weeks have felt like progress.

I still worry we’re still Jeremiah Smith and nothing. Which I mean…when you have Him, you use Him, so it is what it is.

Glad McCuin got a little more involved. I wish Inniss wasn’t on a milk carton. The run game has been serviceable but not explosive. And Sayin still seems under fire more than I like. Overall, I think Smith seems to be learning what he has and designing some things.

But throw that 4th and 1 play in the trash immediately.

I still shudder when our back gets tripped up for a 2nd and 1 because I fear the 3rd and 4th down plays will be a clownshow - Day’s teams still can’t figure out what they want to do in those situations.
 
Upvote 0
it’s definitely evolving - I can’t quantify it to back it but it seems like we saw more 3-wide sets like someone mentioned previously which MIGHT suggest Artie might see that bunched personnel doesn’t work on film and in the numbers.

Let’s talk again post-IU, I doubt we are going to try much against Maryland or we will definitely want to put some stuff out there, but that’s going to be big time.
 
Upvote 0
I don’t know about masterminding, but do even you not think he’s a significant upgrade over Hartline? A few positives that I’ve seen include getting plays in on time, THTGDB, more varied and generally quicker tempo, recognizing over the last 2-3 weeks that wider formations with fewer TEs need to be in regular use, and, of late, recognition that the middle of the field wasn’t being used enough in the passing game. There’s been some fuckery, but it’s smelled like typical Ryan Day situational fuckery to me rather than something Smith brought here (I suspect that Day weighs in more on key plays and that he shouldn’t although I can’t provide any evidence for that).
1000%. And I can admit I didn't realize most of those things until you said them.
 
Upvote 0
The last 2 weeks have felt like progress.

I still worry we’re still Jeremiah Smith and nothing. Which I mean…when you have Him, you use Him, so it is what it is.

It’s weird to finally see the offense without a true #2 who’s going to take over and be a top 10 pick the following year. Glad they work to get McCuin the ball, and agree on Inniss. Does everything right and hands great hands.

My hope is that Bo keeps working and getting better as the year goes on. His receiving gives the offense another dimension, and Robert’s is also starting to look like a reliable player on 3rd downs.
 
Upvote 0
In addition to above ↑ post:

Proof Points From Ohio State’s Dominant Win at Iowa, Presented by High Bank Distillery​

38:02

Ohio State had control of the game early on, even if the score didn't necessarily show that. Then, by the end of the game, the score seemed closer than the game actually was.

Not only did the Buckeyes take their first lead less than three minutes into the game and never look back, but thanks to that dominant third-quarter performance by the defense, OSU wore down the Hawkeyes. In that quarter alone, Ohio State had a 9:47-5:13 advantage in time of possession.

OSU ran 74 plays for 484 yards (6.5 yards per play); Iowa had 53 plays for 238 yards (4.5 yards per play). The Buckeyes won the time of possession battle, 38:02-21:56.

After a first quarter in which Iowa had the ball for 8:21 of a possible 15 minutes, Ohio State dominated the time of possession from there.
  • First quarter: 6:39-8:21
  • Second quarter: 9:53-5:07
  • Third quarter: 9:47-5:13
  • Fourth quarter: 11:43-3:17
When they needed to make an attempt at a comeback, Iowa's offense had the ball for just 8:30 of a possible 30 minutes in the second half. Ohio State certainly took advantage of the Hawkeyes' fatigue, both through the air and on the ground, as the game went on.

Just sayin': In a road game, with a very hostile/vocal crowd, against a team with an above average (actually the NCAA #1 in opponents scoring allowing only 8 ppg through the 1st 4 games....:lol:) defense; he (i.e. the offense) dominated the time of possession with "ball control" from the 2nd quarter on, especially in the 4th quarter.
Candidly, I enjoyed the strategic use of our OL jumping off-sides requiring more plays to get first downs, thereby draining the clock when we wanted. 4-fucking-D chess.
 
Upvote 0
Back
Top