• New here? Register here now for access to all the forums, download game torrents, private messages, polls, Sportsbook, etc. Plus, stay connected and follow BP on Instagram @buckeyeplanet and Facebook.

ST Coach Robby Discher (Official Thread)

Are you seriously suggesting getting rid of a coach who wins nearly 90% of his games because of special teams? :lol:

This fanbase I tell ya :lol:

I will interject.

Day is a awesome head coach. He will go down as probably the winningest head coach in OSU history if he sticks it out a while. If he wins a couple more championships he will pass Woody as far a legends.

With that said, special teams has been the one black mark on his tenure so far.

I think he values the play of offense and defense way more than special teams.

Compare that to Tressel and Urban who treated the special teams like a God, and it showed. They definitely had faults of their own, but not special teams.

This season Day is definitely trying to get the special teams corrected, it's just kind of wonky. OSU spent money in the portal for special teams players. I wish they would spend a little more for better high school kickers.

Any black marks right now, that falls on Disher. He is getting paid a lot and needs to find answers.
 
Upvote 0
I think he values the play of offense and defense way more than special teams.

I don’t think he devalues it, he just doesn’t seem to know how to fix it, just like he can’t scheme up a great run game or step in and teach OL. OSU had Fleming as an ST coach even when people thought it was ridiculous to use one of the 10 coaching spots on him, and his kickers have been better than Meyer’s and net punting often better than Tressel’s teams.

Right now it’s not elite so it’s easy to focus on, and I also think people misremember past STs as mostly being elite when it was a mixed bag.
 
Upvote 0
I don’t think he devalues it, he just doesn’t seem to know how to fix it, just like he can’t scheme up a great run game or step in and teach OL. OSU had Fleming as an ST coach even when people thought it was ridiculous to use one of the 10 coaching spots on him, and his kickers have been better than Meyer’s and net punting often better than Tressel’s teams.

Right now it’s not elite so it’s easy to focus on, and I also think people misremember past STs as mostly being elite when it was a mixed bag.
I didn't really mean devalue as much as value more. I think this year, now that he is a manager, he seems more interested in what is happening with STs.

Oh, I strongly disagree about Fleming. We all saw what it looked like, and even if the statistics on the kicks looked ok, everything around it did not. The bigger gripe was wasting a coaching position on special teams. Now that doesn't matter.

I won't comment on the run game because Day usually gets that figured out each year as it goes along. It's just always a work in progress. The running back room also has not been consistently talented, which has played a big factor.

I feel like this year Day is making an effort to right the ship. It's not just coach speak.
 
Upvote 0
As a CEO, he can spread his time across the team. And if anyone believes the ST coach tells Day to punt at a 4th and one situation, I've got some counseling time for you. Anyone know if the starters still clamor to play on ST? Used to be a thing, but today, not so certain. Believe it's more of a time for the 2's to get sweaty and dirty, and show off their talents. As for the running into a kicker penalty, a novice knows you lay out in front of the punter, simply because that's where the ball is. Probably more coaching technique than I am aware of, but always seems to be laid at the feet of the players to perform.
 
Upvote 0
Back
Top