• New here? Register here now for access to all the forums, download game torrents, private messages, polls, Sportsbook, etc. Plus, stay connected and follow BP on Instagram @buckeyeplanet and Facebook.

2026 tOSU Special Teams Discussion

I'm sure across a big enough data set you are getting something close to 50% on all kickers, all situations.

This is the Ryan Day era in do or die spots. This is OSU, the bar is set absurdly high, you should always be trying to have one of those outlier kickers on your team (the good outlier kind)

View attachment 94863
I was more curious.

There's no debate things have to improve. I'm just not sure there's going to be a vast improvement outside of a statistical outlier like Noah Ruggles seems to have been, however.
 
Upvote 0
I was more curious.

There's no debate things have to improve. I'm just not sure there's going to be a vast improvement outside of a statistical outlier like Noah Ruggles seems to have been, however.

I hear you but using that lens we probably have a very skewed distribution curve where we live in the skinny tails to the right of CFB at several positions. I don't think that's luck and I am of the opinion we shouldn't be hoping for luck on a kicker.

Why don't we have one of these mutants that's a legit threat anywhere past the 50? That should be the aspiration at least.
 
Upvote 0
gross

MAYBE NO ST COACH WAS THE BETTER MOVE​

What do you even say about Ohio State special teams at this point? Hopes of the unit not being a raging dumpster fire for the umpteenth consecutive season were high after Day hired an actual special teams coach - with some prior success, no less - to come in and right that ship.

Through five games, that ship is still largely taking on water.

My favorite play yesterday had to be a punt from the OSU 45 all the way to the... Iowa 22. A 33-yard punt from midfield with no rush to disrupt the kick. Joe McGuire doesn't have enough punts to qualify for the CFB stats leaderboard but his average of 41.3 would slot about 58th right now.

The OSU punt team also got flagged for 12 men on the field (or maybe it was a false start) before a McGuire attempt.

Placekicker Connor Hawkins hasn't been bad for Ohio State, connecting on 5-of-7 field goal tries and both misses have from from 40+ yards but it doesn't feel like a coincidence the two misses came in OSU's two biggest games so far. His doink on a 40-yarder yesterday came with some pressure as the Buckeyes led 10-6 in the second quarter.

On punt return, an Iowa punt landed at the 17 and rolled to the 2 after the Hawkeyes purposely took a delay of game to give Boston Everitt more room to work with. Flawless execution.

I'm sure other bad stuff happened but I'm tired of thinking about it.

 
Upvote 0
gross

MAYBE NO ST COACH WAS THE BETTER MOVE​

What do you even say about Ohio State special teams at this point? Hopes of the unit not being a raging dumpster fire for the umpteenth consecutive season were high after Day hired an actual special teams coach - with some prior success, no less - to come in and right that ship.

Through five games, that ship is still largely taking on water.

My favorite play yesterday had to be a punt from the OSU 45 all the way to the... Iowa 22. A 33-yard punt from midfield with no rush to disrupt the kick. Joe McGuire doesn't have enough punts to qualify for the CFB stats leaderboard but his average of 41.3 would slot about 58th right now.

The OSU punt team also got flagged for 12 men on the field (or maybe it was a false start) before a McGuire attempt.

Placekicker Connor Hawkins hasn't been bad for Ohio State, connecting on 5-of-7 field goal tries and both misses have from from 40+ yards but it doesn't feel like a coincidence the two misses came in OSU's two biggest games so far. His doink on a 40-yarder yesterday came with some pressure as the Buckeyes led 10-6 in the second quarter.

On punt return, an Iowa punt landed at the 17 and rolled to the 2 after the Hawkeyes purposely took a delay of game to give Boston Everitt more room to work with. Flawless execution.

I'm sure other bad stuff happened but I'm tired of thinking about it.

I really wish the press would dig into (or at least try to) and report on the approach to and process by which Ohio State coaches special teams, most specifically the kickers (what drills do they do, how is their practice time organized, etc ...). Discher actually has a pretty strong special teams resume, but he comes here and the results are still crappy. Maybe some sort of exorcism is needed.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top