• New here? Register here now for access to all the forums, download game torrents, private messages, polls, Sportsbook, etc. Plus, stay connected and follow BP on Instagram @buckeyeplanet and Facebook.

wadc45

Bourbon, Bow Ties and Baseball Hats
BP Recruiting Team
This is a quick review of the film available from Rivals and Scout for a few players that OSU is still recruiting. Let me preface this by saying that I am not a college or high school football coach. But I do like to think that I know a little bit about the game and can at least provide a little insight into the strengths and weaknesses of some of the recruits OSU is after to those who aren't able to see the film for themselves. So with that being said...

Major Wright: The most obvious thing you see when watching Major is that he loves to hit. There are several plays where he flys up and knocks the life out of people. My favorite play is one where there is a toss left and the guard pulls. Major flys up so fast and so hard to take on the lead blocker that he blows the guard back into the running back, who ends up losing a yard or two because of it. He looks like he has grown a few inches from his junior to his senior year...and has also gotten leaner and faster. He can go up and get the ball at its highest point and even shows a few things when returning a pick during the game against Plantation. He and Oliver could become a wrecking crew tandem at safety for years to come.

Martez Wilson: Looks like a man playing amongst boys. His physcial presence is obvious and his ability to rush off the edge is tremendous. Plays on special teams as well and is usually the first player downfield. He is extremely athletic for his size (he tips a screen pass to himself and catches it on his knees). He may be one of the best prospect in the nation based solely on potential. He is nowhere near the best high school player, but his upside is infinite. Take his raw talent and add some technical coaching and you will have a future first-rounder. He is also a heck of a WR, further demonstrating his athleticism. Wilson is bit like Lebron...whereas Lebron is built like a 3 but has the athletic ability to play the point, Wilson has the size to be a DE, but has the athleticism of a safety or corner.

Eric Berry: His Scout film is entirely of him running the option and scrambling as a QB. What you can gather from that is that he is unbelievably fast with great moves in the open field. Watching the few clips available from Rivals of him playing DB, all you really get to see is him running down a ball carrier. Hopefully more film of him on defense will become available, but his speed is apparent.

Anthony Davis: As with Wilson, competition level is a bit of a question because Anthony is just so dominating. He is absolutely huge, but moves suprisingly well for his size. He looks like a man mountain when he comes out of his stance, but has the speed to get to the second level and punish LBs and safeties. Plays with some nasty (think Alex Boone). Tremendous wingspan who will be able to use that when he gets to the next level to become and even better pass blocker. As for run blocking, he is ready for the Big 10 right now.

Ronald Johnson: Focusing on Ronald's defensive highlights, he is a great combination of size and speed...a truly special athlete. He has great hands (most of his defensive highlights show him picking off a pass). Has the hips of a true corner and is able to change speed and direction fluidly. Makes a sick one-handed INT in one Scout clip that you really need to see to believe. He is going to be a contributor early wherever he ends up. Reminds be a lot of Ashton Youboty when he was coming out of high school.

John Clay: Tremendous motor...he keeps his legs charging before, during and after contact. Runs extremely low when breaking the line of scrimmage, making himself a smaller target than a player of size would normally be. Raises up a bit when he gets into the open field to find that fifth gear. Great stiff arm...uses his free hand to punish defenders. Will cut the ball up early on tosses if needed, but does have the speed to get to the outside against his high school competition. Will likely be a between the tackles runner in college. Needs to work on little things like his initial counter step and other things like that.

Rob Gronkowski: Junior highlights show a rather skinny Rob at TE/WR. His QB has a lot of faith in him, constantly throwing into double and triple coverage and expecting the tall and athletic Gronkowski to make a play. Great hands when the ball is in the air...make no mistake that Rob is not the old school OSU TE who was nothing more than a glorified tackle. Rob has great hands and the frame to add enough weight to be both a decent blocker and an outstanding receiver. His blocking technique in these clips needs a lot of work, but hopefully he has improved that since his junior year. He reminds me of a younger, skinnier Todd Heap.

Brandon Lindsey: Again, watching junior highlights there is a noticeable size difference between what you see on film and what is listed in the databases. Obviously he must have put on some size, because in these clips he looks no bigger than Nate Oliver. Pursues the ball well and tackles hard. In the limited highlights available, looks great as a running back as well. After watching some senior clips on Rivals, you can tell that he has definitely grown, both physically and as a player. Work well in traffic when defending the run. In my opinion, would benefit greatly from working with Butch Reynolds, as he does not look to be the fastest player I have seen on film.

Devon Still: Plays right tackle on offense, where he certainly would be considered a project (although once again these are junior highlights). Absolutely destroys a kid on a trap block in one clip, throwing a forearm shiver into the kid's sternum and knocking him back about three yards. Defensively, he is a little more advanced. Very soft-spoken in the Rivals interview, but shows a great motor. I see him as a potential DT with the size he shows in these films. He does well taking on two and sometimes three blockers. He is a bit of a late bloomer who will only get better with advanced coaching. The jury is still out on where he ends up, but I like him on defense, sepcifically at DT.

Joseph Barksdale: Interesting production of his Scout highlight film (the opening is a green screen with the words "Big Joe Barksdale" scrolling across, which takes about 30 seconds). The Scout film shows him doing drills at the SA combine, which are rather tough to watch as he just blows by kids. Watching game film, he needs to bring his game down a bit, meaning he plays a tad high. Has a variety of moves which work well at the high school level, but will probably need to become a better bull rusher, considering his size and strength. Doesn't always show the best motor and can be taken out of plays when a big OL comes up and just punches him in the mouth. Very raw but has the tools necessary to become a force at the next level.

Derrick Morgan: Does not look as big as the 260 listed on the Rivals clips, but again these are likely junior highlights. Has a great motor and looks similar to Martez Wilson, minus the freakish athleticism (the clip where Morgan bats down a bubble screen is the kind of play Wilson would pick and take to the house). Hits like a truck but sometimes leaves his feet behind him. Getting players like him, Barksdale, Still or Jeremiah could take OSU into a new era of DTs who are all over 6-5...which would be a nightmare for any QB who isn't equally as tall.

Leonard Hankerson: I may be in the minority, but if you check his thread, I said a long time ago that I thought Hank was one of the better WRs in the country. His film reminds me a bit of Patrick Turner's, who ended up playing as a true freshman at USC. Not as big as David Ausberry but plays very similar...he looks taller than the 6-2 listed (just noted Scout has him at 6-3). Very soft hands, although he sometimes lets the ball get into his chest rather than catching it out in front. Certainly not a Deonte Thompson-type burner, but better than average speed for a WR his size with great vision and feel for running in the open field. Uses his strength to get seperation against smaller DBs. Strong enough to easily run through arm tackles.

James Scott: Another one of my favorites on film...if this kid doesn't remind you of Antoine Winfield, I don't know who will. He may only be 5-9 or 5-10 and 165 lbs. but this kids will pound on you from the opening whistle until the final gun. Tackles extremely low and uses his momentum and feet to hit through the ballcarrier. Finds his way past blockers exceptionally well. His one interception is fun to watch (if you are not a coach) because he picks it off in his own end zone and probably runs around for a good 30 yards before finally bringing it out, eventually bringing it back to around his own 40 yard line. I really love watching this kid play.
 
Last edited:
Continuing with some recruits who have already pledged to OSU...

Eugene Clifford: Reviewing the film that came out today plus the other film available, the Clifford playing CB talk is nonsense. However, he is a fantastic looking safety prospect, who can flat turn your lights out if you are a wide receiver coming over the middle. He is also excellent in run support. He is so fluid and can weave his in an out of traffic to attack the ball carrier at the right angle. On offense, Gene is an equally talented receiver. He has a great nose for the ball and his timing on his jump is perfect...that kind of thing can't be coached. I think he will see the field sooner rather than later at OSU.

Boom Herron: I am already on record comparing Boom to Pittman. I think their running styles are extremely similar. Boom seems much mroe comfortable working the inside, moving inand around his lineman. He has the speed to get to the edge, but is far more likely to break one up the middle and put a move on the safety than he is to take a toss and beat everyone to the corner (as Saine would be more likely to do). I am certainly not knocking Boom's speed, but his true talent lies in his vision and his ability to set-up his blocks.

Nate Oliver: First off, much has been made of the play where Small caught Nate from behind during the St. Ed's/Glenville game last year. But the initial burst that Nate shows on the play tells me that speed is not an issue. I think it really is time we put all that talk to bed. On defense Nate is tough as nails. Good form on his tackling and excellent pad level. Nate reminds me (in terms of size and speed) of Will Allen, who was damn fine safety at OSU. I think Nate has a great football mentality and will be a force in the defensive secondary during his time in Columbus.

Taurian Washington: Another player who will benefit from working with Coach Reynolds, Taurian has the tools to be another Gonzo-type receiver. I see him as more of your go-to-guy on third down who can use his deceptive speed to get to a soft spot in the zone quickly and sit down and make the tough catch. I don't know that Taurian will ever be a straight fly pattern down the sideline type receiver, but he very well could end up as a productive split end. What I do know is that he has great hands and seems pretty adept at route running for being so young. I think his best days are well ahead of him.

Dane Sanzenbacher: I watch Dane's clips at WR and he reminds me of Terry Glenn when he was that age. Not the biggest guy, not the fastest guy...but as soon as you stop paying attention to him, he makes plays. That is the feeling I get watching Dane's junior film. Flip to this year and Dane is a budding superstar. I think he will be very productive under Coach Hazell's watch. Like Taurian, I don't know that he will be a superstar flanker in the mold of Santonio or Teddy, but we could see him become an excellent slot guy or split end.
 
Upvote 0
wadc45;645252; said:
Continuing with some recruits who have already pledged to OSU...

Eugene Clifford: Reviewing the film that came out today plus the other film available, the Clifford playing CB talk is nonsense. However, he is a fantastic looking safety prospect, who can flat turn your lights out if you are a wide receiver coming over the middle. He is also excellent in run support. He is so fluid and can weave his in an out of traffic to attack the ball carrier at the right angle. On offense, Gene is an equally talented receiver. He has a great nose for the ball and his timing on his jump is perfect...that kind of thing can't be coached. I think he will see the field sooner rather than later at OSU.

Boom Herron: I am already on record comparing Boom to Pittman. I think their running styles are extremely similar. Boom seems much mroe comfortable working the inside, moving inand around his lineman. He has the speed to get to the edge, but is far more likely to break one up the middle and put a move on the safety than he is to take a toss and beat everyone to the corner (as Saine would be more likely to do). I am certainly not knocking Boom's speed, but his true talent lies in his vision and his ability to set-up his blocks.

Nate Oliver: First off, much has been made of the play where Small caught Nate from behind during the St. Ed's/Glenville game last year. But the initial burst that Nate shows on the play tells me that speed is not an issue. I think it really is time we put all that talk to bed. On defense Nate is tough as nails. Good form on his tackling and excellent pad level. Nate reminds me (in terms of size and speed) of Will Allen, who was damn fine safety at OSU. I think Nate has a great football mentality and will be a force in the defensive secondary during his time in Columbus.

Taurian Washington: Another player who will benefit from working with Coach Reynolds, Taurian has the tools to be another Gonzo-type receiver. I see him as more of your go-to-guy on third down who can use his deceptive speed to get to a soft spot in the zone quickly and sit down and make the tough catch. I don't know that Taurian will ever be a straight fly pattern down the sideline type receiver, but he very well could end up as a productive split end. What I do know is that he has great hands and seems pretty adept at route running for being so young. I think his best days are well ahead of him.

Dane Sanzenbacher: I watch Dane's clips at WR and he reminds me of Terry Glenn when he was that age. Not the biggest guy, not the fastest guy...but as soon as you stop paying attention to him, he makes plays. That is the feeling I get watching Dane's junior film. Flip to this year and Dane is a budding superstar. I think he will be very productive under Coach Hazell's watch. Like Taurian, I don't know that he will be a superstar flanker in the mold of Santonio or Teddy, but we could see him become an excellent slot guy or split end.


I think if I was to review these guys this is exactally what my reviews would look like...

Good work and the one I totally agree with you on is Hankerson. You have been on him since the start and I totally agree, I just wished that we had room for him, but right now it just looks like he is going to get left out.

As for his teammate Wright I can't help but think a hard hitter like Nate Salley with cover skills like a Donte Whitner.

I think if we can get Wright to go along with Oliver and Clifford we are going to see one of them move to lb or one of them move to WR.
 
Upvote 0
Agreed, with Oliver possible being the most likely candidate to put on some more weight and slide down to OLB. Clifford going to WR is another option (he is really starting to impress me on offense). Good comparison of Wright...hits like Salley/Whitner with the cover skills of Whitner...who turned out to be a first rounder.
 
Upvote 0
wadc45;645405; said:
Agreed, with Oliver possible being the most likely candidate to put on some more weight and slide down to OLB. Clifford going to WR is another option (he is really starting to impress me on offense). Good comparison of Wright...hits like Salley/Whitner with the cover skills of Whitner...who turned out to be a first rounder.

I have always liked Clifford at WR. It is just the fact that his team doesnt throw the ball enough, but when you watch this kid in the open field on the PR/KR you can tell he has the shakes and then when you watch his few clips of him @ WR when he is outleaping people to go get the ball at its highest point. You think wow if this kid can put together the litlle things like in and out of routes and ways to get open he could be a great receiver.

So if we have Doss and Salley/Whitner oops I mean Oliver and Wright at safties it makes moving Clifford to O a whole lot easier.

Great problems to have.:biggrin:
 
Upvote 0
Some more reviews:

Kris O'Dowd: Watched both junior game film and combine film. The first thing you see is mad strength and a great motor. I see a guard at the next level, mainly because I don't know if he has the feet and wingspan to be an ideal tackle. He certainly has great speed for his size and can get to the second level in a hurry. Reminds me of T.J. Downing a bit...looks a little smaller on film, but uses his hands and leverage well and is flat out stronger than most people he is going to go up against...and plays with some nasty.

Deonte Thompson: Not going to bore you talking about fast Deonte is, because I think we are all pretty aware of that by now. You can't watch his film and not see a little Santonio. Great hands when he uses them (on the films I saw he lets the ball get into his chest a couple of times, which I never like seeing). Another player who runs extremely low to the ground, and thus is such a small target for defenders. Great swerve move on the kickoff return. I'm serious...it's like watching a Santonio clone.

Broderick Green: Great athlete for his size (if you haven't seen the clip of him hurdling the defender in slow motion, I suggest you do). Vicious robot-like stiff arm (the second clip after the hurdle he absolutely plants a kid with a left stiff arm). Great hands out of the backfield and great leverage. Absolutely strong enough to run through multiple arm tackles. Could eventually grow into a LB or FB, but for now would make a great compliment to a kid like Brandon Saine and Chris Wells.

Antonio Jeremiah: Still one of my favorite defenders on film this year (along with James Scott) because of how dominant he is. An absolute monster on film. Physically he is impressive but moves exceptionally well for someone listed 6-5 270. Looks light on his feet rather than plodding along like most linemen. Plays WAY too high at this level, but gets away with it because of his sheer strength. Forget the over-hyped O'Dowd/Griffin film...I would like to see O'Dowd vs. Jeremiah head to head. Two of the strongest kids I have seen on film this year. This kid, if he can learn to play as low as Pitcock does, will command double teams constantly at the next level. If you are looking for a comparison size wise, think Jay Richardson right now. Best football is way ahead of him.
 
Upvote 0
Turning my attention to some Ohio prospects...

C.J. Peake: Carlton is certainly a fantastic combination of size and speed and would probably be a part of this class if we were handing out 25 scholarships this year. I would not close the book on Peake as a RB...reminds me a bit of Michael Bush with the ball in his hands. Runs with his shoulders over top of his feet much like Bush, and has great cut back ability for a guy his size. If he moves over to defense, I would guess that he will grow into a LB. The clip where he blows through the line, engages the RB, strips the ball and returns it 89 yards for a TD is impressive. Looks a bit like Clifford playing safety, only a bit thicker. If he does stay at safety, he has the ability to cover in space like a free safety, but is also very adept in run support.

Andrew Dailey: Andrew seems to thrive on contact. Much like Peake, he is a LB/S hybrid which was obviously not what the staff was looking for this year, as they passed on several similar prospects who would probably have gotten an offer if there were more to go around. The blocked punt is an example of Andrew's atheleticism. I like that Andrew always keeps his feet active...before, during and after contact. He always tries to drive the ball carrier backwards. Shows good form on certai plays, but also loses technique when going for the big hit. Great hands and great leaping ability. The 7 on 7 film really shows his ability to cover in space. Again, like Peake, I would not be surprised to see him grow into a 6-2 230 LB, not unlike current Nittany Lion Dan Connor.

Jordan Mabin: Jordan's senior highlights are impressive. A very patient back, which is good for someone Jordan's size. Really lets plays develop and is not afraid to cut up inside among the trees, which makes locating him difficult. One minute he is in the backfield, then he is amongst the big uglies and before you realize it he is shooting out of the mess and ripping off a long gain. I don't see explosive speed, but he certainly is fast enough to play at the next level. My favorite play is the one where there is a bunch formation to the right and the play is a designed toss right. The QB does an awful job after making the pitch of selling anything, but then realizes that Jordan is about to cut back to the left and gets downfield to block, absolutely lighting up a DB. Breaks a ton of tackles for a kid his sizae. As a CB, Jordan takes a good angle when the ball is in the air but can get a little lost back there. I really think his future is at RB.

Jermale Hines: All of his senior highlights show him playing QB, so I am going to focus on the JR. film of Jermale at LB. Great instincts when defending the run. Has the abililty to knife through the line to get to the ball carrier. Just looks the part of a true LB more than Peak or Dailey despite being roughly the same height and weight. Watching him play defense and running the ball (Peake's clips show him at RB, Hines at QB), I am not really too sure what seperates Peake and Hines, other than the fact that Hines may have a better frame to add weight to, so as to end up at LB. Reads the QB well, especially on screens and looks like he is getting shot out of a cannon on delayed blitzes. Great closing speed...it takes him a second to get up to full speed, but once he is, I think he might be a step faster than Peake and is definitely a touch faster than Dailey.

Solomon Thomas: Again, junior highlights. Obviously needs to add a little weight (which he did during the Summer and will likely add to this Winter), but has a great wingspan which I love to see in a DE, both for working against today's long-armed tackles and for batting down passes at the line. Definitely looks like a future weakside DE to me. Plays much faster than the 4.82 Rivals lists or the 4.7 Scout lists. A bit raw and plays a little undisciplined at times, but that is to be expected at this point. He is a bit behind Martin right now but has the measurables to be equally as talented at OSU...both are much better pass rushers than they are run stoppers, but both have the skill sets to become very complete DEs. Reminds me a bit of Willie Young of NC State when he was coming out of high school.

More to follow...
 
Upvote 0
I am dissapointed that we don't have room for Peake. If he would of made an effort to be recruited as a lb I believe that he would be here. He will have trouble in coverage as a safety, but his speed and his physical ability would be uncanny at LB.

He is very impressive looking in person and he ran a 4.48 40 at the OSU camp. That would be crazy for a lb.

As for Thomas I have loved him since I saw his film. I said that if not for Ben Martin everyone would of been raving about Thomas. He is going to make a very DE @ tOSU.
 
Upvote 0
Back
Top