APRIL 16, 2019
OHIO STATE DEFEATS XAVIER, 8-5, TUESDAY NIGHT IN COLUMBUS
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State bats sprayed 13 hits, while fifth-year senior right-handed pitcher Thomas Waning claimed his first career win as the Buckeyes defeated Xavier, 8-5, Tuesday night at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium. Left-handed reliever Andrew Magno struck out two in the ninth to claim his sixth save. At the dish, junior right fielder Dominic Canzone continued to swing a hot bat, going 3-for-5 with a homer and two runs scored. Junior first baseman Conner Pohl drove in two runs in a two-hit game, while senior left fielder Brady Cherry also homered and drove in two runs. With the win the Buckeyes improve to 21-17 overall, while the Musketeers drop to 14-23 in 2019.
Waning from Maple City, Mich., faced his former team in his first start as a Buckeye and it was fantastic, tossing a career-high four scoreless innings with one hit, two strikeouts and no walks. In a controlled start, Waning picked up his first career win to improve to 1-0.
BUCKEYES ON THE BOARD EARLY
Ohio State scored two runs on three hits vs. XU right-handed starter Nathan Berg. Canzone extended his reached base streak to 34 games in his first at-bat with a lead-off single. RBI singles Pohl and Brent Todys made it 2-0.
DINGERS IN THE SECOND
Ohio State added three more runs in the second on two long balls by the Buckeyes. Canzone crushed the first pitch he saw off Berg deep over the wall in right for his 10th homer of the season. Cherry then tattooed a 1-0 pitch over the wall in left for a two-run homer and his ninth of the year to put the score at 5-0.
MORE RUNS IN THE FOURTH
Ohio State scored three more runs in the fourth to open up the game to 8-0. Pohl ripped a line drive to right and it got by the Xavier right fielder for a stand-up RBI triple, the first of his career. Dingler hit a 2-2 pitch off the end of his bat and it spun pass the first baseman for a RBI single as Pohl scored. A sac fly by Zach Dezenzo scored the eighth run.
TO THE BULLPEN
Right-handed pitcher Will Pfennig relieved Waning to start the fifth and tossed one scoreless frame. Right-handed pitcher Joe Gahm got out of a bases-loaded sixth with a fly out to keep Xavier off the board. Right-handed pitcher Bayden Root struck out the side in the seventh. Cherry made his fourth appearance on the mound in the eighth. He allowed five runs on two hits with three walks and two strikeouts. Chris Givin hit a grand slam to put the Musketeers within three runs. Right-handed reliever TJ Brock recorded the final out of the eighth on a strikeout. Magno tossed a scoreless ninth with two strikeouts for the save.
Ohio State travels to face Maryland in a three-game Big Ten road series Friday-Sunday at Shipley Field in Bob “Turtle” Smith Stadium.
- Ohio State improves to 32-12 all-time vs. Xavier.
- Each Buckeye starter recorded a hit in the game. It was the first time all nine Buckeye starters recorded a hit in the game since the team had 22 hits vs. Nebraska April 1, 2018.
- Canzone extended his reached base streak to 34 games and extended his hit streak to 11 straight contests.
- Other reached base streaks extended: Dingler (14), Foppe (8), Pohl (6), Dezenzo (6) and Todys (4).
- Other hit streaks extended: Dingler (9), Dezenzo (6), Todys (4) and Winand (3).
- Thomas Waning made his first collegiate start tonight vs. the Musketeers. He claimed his first career win as a Buckeye tonight in a career-high four innings of work.
- Todys drove in his ninth RBI in the last six games.
- Canzone hit his 10th home run of the season, while Cherry knocked his ninth homer of the year.
- Multi-hit games: Canzone (18), Pohl (11) and Dezenzo.
- Multi-RBI games: Cherry (9) and Pohl (7).
- Magno picked up his sixth save of the year.