• New here? Register here now for access to all the forums, download game torrents, private messages, polls, Sportsbook, etc. Plus, stay connected and follow BP on Instagram @buckeyeplanet and Facebook.

Levee already breeched in NO

LoKyBuckeye

I give up. This board is too hard to understand.
The 9th ward is flooded again in New Orleans. There is already an 8 ft strom surge and Rita won't hit until Saturday Morning.

Rita breaches levee in New Orleans -official
23 Sep 2005 15:09:44 GMT
Source: Reuters
(updates with water waist-high, background)

NEW ORLEANS, Sept 23 (Reuters) - Fast-rising water spilled over a levee in New Orleans as the outer edge of Hurricane Rita dumped rain on the city, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said on Friday.

The water was waist-high in New Orleans' vulnerable ninth ward and rising fast, according to local CBS affiliate WWL-TV.

The ward was the city's hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina just three weeks ago, with most homes reduced to piles of rubble, cars strewn about and relatively few buildings left completely intact.

Most residents of the ward had been evacuated in the aftermath of Katrina, and those remaining were being taken out on Friday, CNN said.

"We have discovered an overtopping on the industrial canal," Army Corps of Engineers spokesman Mitch Frazier told local radio.

Water began seeping through the repaired section on Thursday but officials said they did not expect flooding on such a scale so soon.

The Army Corps had repaired the section after Hurricane Katrina flooded the lower ninth ward.
 
Re: Most residents of the ward had been evacuated in the aftermath of Katrina, and those remaining were being taken out on Friday, CNN said.

Fortunately all the people should be out of the area.
 
Upvote 0
Good news on the NOLA front...

Draining of New Orleans completed
US army engineers have finished draining New Orleans of floodwater, more than a month after the city was devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

A spokesman said 250 billion gallons had been pumped out and all parts of the city were now accessible.

The announcement came as President George Bush visited New Orleans and other areas affected by the hurricane.

Nearly 1,200 people are known to have died in New Orleans and surrounding areas of Louisiana and Mississippi.

Eighty percent of New Orleans was flooded by Hurricane Katrina and some levees were breached a second time during Hurricane Rita.

Many areas remain uninhabitable, and a number of stores and businesses are still closed.

During the draining operation, army engineers used mobile pumps. The permanent pumping stations around New Orleans are gradually being brought back into service.

'Lessons'

During his eighth visit to the southern coast since Katrina struck, President Bush had dinner and stayed overnight in New Orleans before travelling to parts of Mississippi and Louisiana.

He went to a newly opened school and then wore a tool belt as he hammered nails into boards at a housing project.

The US president has been criticised for the government's slow response in the immediate aftermath of the disaster.

"If I didn't respond well enough, we're going to learn the lessons", he said.

The civil rights leader, Jesse Jackson, has criticised the Bush administration for being slow in allowing New Orleans residents to return to their homes, denying them potential jobs.

Opinion polls show that more than half the American public disapprove of his handling of the crisis.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/4333482.stm
 
Upvote 0
Back
Top