Baker 'disassociated' from program
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/ncaa/04/23/ohiostate.booster.ap/index.html
Posted: Saturday April 23, 2005 6:32PM
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- A booster who gave $500 to Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith was told he can't buy season tickets, attend practices or employ players, according to a letter from former athletic director Andy Geiger.
Robert Q. Baker has been officially "disassociated" from Ohio State's athletic program, according to the April 12 letter he received from Geiger.
Baker declined comment when reached by phone Saturday at his home in Springfield.
Geiger stated that Baker, 46, cannot donate money to the university, buy season tickets to any OSU sport or get complimentary tickets from players, coaches, alumni associations or suite holders.
"We are very disappointed with your conduct. Your violations were a source of significant embarrassment to the university," Geiger wrote. "At a time when we all should have been enjoying great wins over Michigan and Oklahoma State, the nation's attention was focused on your violations."
The university also won't accept payments for the luxury suite he had shared on the 35-yard line of Ohio Stadium and will take his name off it.
In addition, he can't have any players over to his house for meals or employ them. Any company that he works for might be forced to no longer employ players.
The letter also says Ohio State reserves the right to "take other appropriate legal action" against Baker and that the prohibitions are indefinite.
A business colleague of Baker's tipped off Ohio State in December about the payment to Smith. He also said Baker had tried to arrange jobs for Smith and another player.
Co-workers said Baker is an avid football fan who wanted to be close to the Buckeyes football program and spent thousands entertaining friends and clients in his suite at Ohio Stadium.
Smith is serving an NCAA suspension and had to sit out the Buckeyes' Alamo Bowl game.
The NCAA notified Ohio State last month that Smith will be reinstated if he gives the money he received to a charity and sits out this season's opener on Sept. 3 against Miami (Ohio).
NCAA investigators are looking into Ohio State's basketball and football programs. Former football player Maurice Clarett charged last summer that players received money from boosters and frequently were given high-pay, no-show jobs.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/ncaa/04/23/ohiostate.booster.ap/index.html
Posted: Saturday April 23, 2005 6:32PM
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- A booster who gave $500 to Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith was told he can't buy season tickets, attend practices or employ players, according to a letter from former athletic director Andy Geiger.
Robert Q. Baker has been officially "disassociated" from Ohio State's athletic program, according to the April 12 letter he received from Geiger.
Baker declined comment when reached by phone Saturday at his home in Springfield.
Geiger stated that Baker, 46, cannot donate money to the university, buy season tickets to any OSU sport or get complimentary tickets from players, coaches, alumni associations or suite holders.
"We are very disappointed with your conduct. Your violations were a source of significant embarrassment to the university," Geiger wrote. "At a time when we all should have been enjoying great wins over Michigan and Oklahoma State, the nation's attention was focused on your violations."
The university also won't accept payments for the luxury suite he had shared on the 35-yard line of Ohio Stadium and will take his name off it.
In addition, he can't have any players over to his house for meals or employ them. Any company that he works for might be forced to no longer employ players.
The letter also says Ohio State reserves the right to "take other appropriate legal action" against Baker and that the prohibitions are indefinite.
A business colleague of Baker's tipped off Ohio State in December about the payment to Smith. He also said Baker had tried to arrange jobs for Smith and another player.
Co-workers said Baker is an avid football fan who wanted to be close to the Buckeyes football program and spent thousands entertaining friends and clients in his suite at Ohio Stadium.
Smith is serving an NCAA suspension and had to sit out the Buckeyes' Alamo Bowl game.
The NCAA notified Ohio State last month that Smith will be reinstated if he gives the money he received to a charity and sits out this season's opener on Sept. 3 against Miami (Ohio).
NCAA investigators are looking into Ohio State's basketball and football programs. Former football player Maurice Clarett charged last summer that players received money from boosters and frequently were given high-pay, no-show jobs.