• New here? Register here now for access to all the forums, download game torrents, private messages, polls, Sportsbook, etc. Plus, stay connected and follow BP on Instagram @buckeyeplanet and Facebook.

Baseball to Launch Investigation Into Past Steroid Use

OSUBasketballJunkie

Never Forget 31-0
ABJ

3/30/06

Baseball to launch investigation into past steroid use

RONALD BLUM

Associated Press

<!-- begin body-content -->NEW YORK - The alleged steroid use by Barry Bonds and other players will be investigated by Major League Baseball, and former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell will lead the effort.

A baseball official told The Associated Press on Wednesday that final plans were to be announced at a news conference Thursday. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because commissioner Bud Selig has not yet made his intentions public.

Selig's decision to launch the probe, first reported by ESPN, came in the wake of "Game of Shadows," a book by two San Francisco Chronicle reporters detailing alleged extensive steroid use by Bonds and other baseball stars. The commissioner has said for several weeks that he was evaluating how to respond to the book.

Some in Congress have called for an independent investigation. Mitchell, a Maine Democrat and a director of the Boston Red Sox, has been a director of the Florida Marlins and served on an economic study committee that Selig appointed in 1999.

Mitchell's possible involvement was first mentioned Wednesday in The New York Times. The name of a lawyer who will run the mechanics of the probe also was to be announced.

No matter what the findings of an investigation, it would be difficult for baseball to penalize anyone for steroids used before Sept. 30, 2002, when a joint drug agreement between management and the players' association took effect. Baseball began drug testing in 2003 and started testing with penalties the following year.

"I will only comment on things about Barry's on-field performance or contractual status," said his agent, Jeff Borris.

It is unclear whether current or former players would cooperate with an investigation or could be forced to do so by baseball. Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the Major League Baseball Players Association, declined comment.

Under pressure from Congress, baseball toughened penalties last year and again this season, when an initial positive test will result in a 50-game suspension. Twelve players, including Rafael Palmeiro, were suspended for 10 days each following positive tests last year.

"Game of Shadows" details alleged use of performance-enhancing drugs by Bonds for at least five seasons beginning after the 1998 season.

Former commissioner Fay Vincent called this month for an investigation and suggested it be headed by Mitchell or John Dowd, who led baseball's 1989 probe into gambling by career hits leader Pete Rose, who agreed to a lifetime ban.

"I think the investigation is the right step," Vincent said. "I don't think the issue is punishment, I think it's: 'Shouldn't the players be called to task for cheating, even if there is no punishment?' I think baseball has to recapture the moral high ground."

An after-hours message left for Mitchell at his New York office was not immediately returned Wednesday. The New York Daily News first reported March 16 that Selig would launch an investigation, but Selig said no decision had been made at the time.

<!-- end body-content -->
 
ABJ

3/30/06

Chief of new steroids probe draws fire

RONALD BLUM

Associated Press

202350880050.jpg

MARY ALTAFFER, AP
Former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell, left, is joined by Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig during a news conference in New York, Thursday, March 30, 2006.
<!-- begin body-content -->NEW YORK - Baseball began its investigation Thursday into alleged steroid use by Barry Bonds and others, and the head of the inquiry immediately came under attack because of his close ties to the sport.
In the wake of a searing book about Bonds, commissioner Bud Selig appointed former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell - and currently a director of the Boston Red Sox - to lead the investigation.
The probe initially will be limited to events since September 2002, when the sport banned performance-enhancing drugs, but Mitchell has the authority to expand it.
Selig said Mitchell's report will be made public but didn't set a timetable. By then, Bonds may well have passed Babe Ruth's home-run mark on the way toward Hank Aaron's all-time record.
"The goal here is to determine facts, not engage in supposition, speculation, rumor or innuendo," Selig said.
Whatever the findings, it will be hard to penalize anyone for conduct before the steroids ban. Baseball began drug testing in 2003 and started testing with penalties the following year.
At San Francisco's home ballpark, Bonds wouldn't discuss the matter.
"I said no, no, no," he said, shaking his head. "I'm going to jump off the Empire State Building - flat on my face," he added, laughing.
Mitchell, meanwhile, said he will not resign his position with the Red Sox. He also is chairman of The Walt Disney Co., the parent of ESPN, a national broadcast partner of baseball.
"I don't think there's any conflict," he said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "I'm going to be independent, have complete independent authority and will act."
ESPN is airing a weekly behind-the-scenes look at Bonds - with the Giants star's cooperation - starting next week.
Along with working for the Red Sox, Mitchell is a former director of the Florida Marlins and served on an economic study committee Selig appointed in 1999. He said he previously announced he would leave the Disney board by the end of the year.
"I've assured the Red Sox owners that should any matter arise, anybody affiliated with the Red Sox will be treated exactly as will anyone else," he said.
John Dowd, the Washington lawyer who headed baseball's investigation of Pete Rose's gambling in 1989, did not like the choice.
"Mitchell doesn't have a great track record with me. It doesn't look like he's independent," Dowd said.
Sen. Jim Bunning, a Kentucky Republican and baseball Hall of Famer, also criticized Mitchell.
"While George Mitchell is certainly a man of great integrity, I believe that baseball would have been wiser to pick someone who is not as close to the game and may be able to take a more objective look into the facts," Bunning said.
Rep. Henry Waxman, a California Democrat who helped lead a congressional hearing last year on steroids in baseball, praised the probe.
"This is precisely what I had asked MLB to do last year," he said. "Finding out the truth about the depth and breadth of this problem is the only way to close the book on this sad chapter of the game's history."
Selig's decision came soon after "Game of Shadows," a book by two San Francisco Chronicle reporters detailing alleged extensive steroid use by Bonds and other baseball stars.
"I believe the timing on this proper given the charges, given the specificity of the charges for the first time," Selig said.
Mitchell will be assisted by Jeffrey Collins and Thomas Carlucci of Foley & Lardner - the law firm of Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer - and Charles Scheeler, a former federal prosecutor currently at Mitchell's law firm, DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary. Collins is a former U.S. Attorney and Carlucci a former assistant U.S. attorney.
"Should Sen. Mitchell uncover material suggesting that the scope of this investigation needs to be broader, he has my permission to expand the investigation and to follow the evidence wherever it may lead," Selig said.
DuPuy said baseball considered Mitchell's potential conflicts of interest.
"Given Sen. Mitchell's integrity, given his background, he was absolutely considered to be the perfect choice for this job," he said.
DuPuy said baseball had the power to force players to cooperate.
"My hope is that others will see it as we do, that it's in the best interests of baseball and the individuals to be forthcoming, but I can't predict," Mitchell said.
New York Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi, who like Bonds testified before a federal grand jury in 2003, said he'd have "no problems" an inquiry. Giambi reportedly admitted to the grand jury that he had used steroids.
"I did the things I needed to do, took care of it and played last year and have just gone forward. I'm not really worried about it," he said.
Teammate Gary Sheffield also testified and said of his cooperation: "If I have to, I will. I'm going to do whatever the law expects me to do, but other than that it's a waste of my time."
In a 1980 case involving pitcher Ferguson Jenkins, arbitrator Ray Goetz curtailed the commissioner's power to order cooperation.
"Arbitrators have been reluctant to allow compelled, potentially self-incriminating testimony," Selig said. "The investigatory authority of Major League Baseball, therefore, is particularly limited when the allegations relate to conduct that can create or has created a risk of criminal prosecution for the player."
Selig would not address possible discipline that could result from the investigation,
"When this investigation is over ... that will be the time for me to make those kind of judgments," he said.
Bonds enters the season with 708 homers, trailing only Ruth (714) and Aaron (755) on the career list.
"I assume physical constraints notwithstanding, Bonds will play the whole year," DuPuy said.
Selig would not discuss whether baseball would commemorate Bonds' pursuit of the home-run record.
"We'll work those out in the coming weeks," he said.
Earlier Thursday, Victor Conte - founder of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative - was released from a California prison. He spent four months there after pleading guilty to orchestrating an illegal steroids distribution scheme that allegedly involved many high-profile athletes.
Asked whether he gave Bonds steroids, Conte said: "No, I did not."
"I plan to provide evidence in the near future to prove that much of what is written in the book is untrue," Conte told the AP. He declined to list specific inaccuracies or what evidence he would provide, but said, "It's about the character assassination of Barry Bonds and myself."
Union head Donald Fehr and chief operating officer Gene Orza did not respond to e-mails seeking comment.
---
AP Sports Writer Janie McCauley in San Francisco and Associated Press Writer Dan Goodin in San Mateo, Calif., contributed to this report
<!-- end body-content -->
 
Upvote 0
Dispatch

BASEBALL NOTEBOOK
Steroids probe hindered
Mitchell cites lack of power to order testimony as chief problem

Saturday, December 02, 2006


ASSOCIATED PRESS




Former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell said his probe into steroid use in baseball has been delayed because he lacks power to order testimony.
Mitchell was hired by commissioner Bud Selig in March after more than a year of allegations against Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire and other stars. No timetable was set for Mitchell?s report.
"When I began, I was, of course, aware that I do not have the power to compel testimony or the production of documents," Mitchell said in a statement yesterday. "From the outset, I believed that the absence of such power would significantly increase the amount of time necessary to complete the investigation, and it has."
While club officials have testified, Mitchell can?t order any of the unionized players to cooperate. No player is known to have testified. "My investigative staff has conducted hundreds of interviews and received thousands of documents; however, much more work will be necessary," Mitchell said. "Cooperation has been good from many of those from whom we have sought testimony and documents, but has been less than good from some others. This will not affect the result of the investigation, but it has increased the length of time it will take me to complete the investigation."
 
Upvote 0
Back
Top